Frequently asked questions regarding Intercoms
1. What type of wire should be used with the radio intercom systems?
IWA3 wire is to be used with the IM3303 system IW4 wire is to be used with the IM3204 system IW6 wire is to be used with the IM4406 and IM5000 systems IW2 and S143 (18/2) may be used with all systems These are our wire models and are specifically manufactured to our specifications for optimum performance with our systems. The audio input and output wires are isolated from one another to allow proper audio and control of your system.
2. May "CAT - 5" wire be used to install radio intercoms?
No. The NuTone radio intercom systems were designed for specific wire types to assure proper operation, minimal loss and attenuation of all the functions of the systems. NuTone specifies 3 wire, 4 wire, and 6 wire cable for proper installations depending on the system model.
3. I have an old three (3) wire intercom system, what may I replace it with?
The IM3303 radio intercom system would be the update master. More than likely you would be required to replace all speaker and master station rough ins, the master station and the speaker stations. The wiring should remain intact. Note: All speaker runs must be home run back to the master station!
4. How is it determined if the wiring infrastructure is looped or home run?
Older systems were designed with either 3 wire, 6 wire or 8 wire cables connected to the remote speakers. A number count of the cables at the master station and the number of remotes must be performed. If the number counts are equivalent, then you have home run wiring. If the number of wires counted is less than the number of speakers, then this is a loop wired system.
5. How many wires are necessary to install the door speaker?
You will be required to run four (4) wires - IW2 for the speaker connection and S143 (18/2) for the pushbutton. If this is just a door speaker, then only the IW2 is required.
6. The radio and intercom operate properly, but the tones are too loud, what may be done to lower the tones?
If using a chime module or an external electronic chime, there are volume controls on these devices that may be lowered to the acceptable level for your system.
7. How do you determine the model number of a master station?
Most NuTone master units have the model number displayed in the lower right hand corner of the master station or if on the inside or outside, there is door on the front panel, then it will be displayed inside the door(s).
8. How many speakers may be used with the IM5000 intercom?
The IM5000 intercom system will accommodate 20 remote speakers and three (3) door speakers.
9. Why does the IM3303 master show "IC" in the display?
The remote stations are attempting to send a control signal to the master and there is an issue with the send/receive functions.
10. How can I eliminate the "IC" issue?
Solutions vary depending on the cause, but to temporarily remedy the issue, you may do either of these techniques. Turn off the "remote power switch and the remote tuning switch" located on the master station. Reset of the microprocessor may remedy the issue. This is accomplished by locating the small hole beside the memory set button (ie: lower front right side of master) and insert a small cylindrical device into the hole and depress the recessed button and release. The display should return to 1:00pm, which will allow you to reprogram the time and radio stations. For a permanent resolution, the remote station that is causing the issue must be identified and replaced.
11. May the IS445 intercom speakers be used with the IM3303 master station?
No. The IS445 speakers are the six (6) wire system speakers designed to operate with the IM4406 master station. The IS335 speakers are the three (3) wire system speakers designed to operate with the IM3303 master station. (Note: The IM3204 uses the IS325 four (4) wire speakers and the IM5000 uses the IS515 six (6) wire speakers.
12. Can a CD Player be connected to the IM3303?
Yes. There are two line level input jacks on the IM3303 to allow multiple peripheral source connections to the system. Standard "RCA?" jacks are used to make the connections. Connect the source output (a pre-amp level signal) to the IM3303. Amplification will take place within the IM3303 master station.
13. Can a "door release" be added to my IM3303 system?
Yes. The pushbutton in the master and the pushbuttons near the remotes will be required to operate with their own transformer and the door release mechanism.
14. Is the IM3303 master station available in black like the remote speakers?
No. The IM3303 master station is only available in "Bright White" and "Biscuit".
15. Does the IM3303 have the "hands free" answering feature from the remote speakers?
The IM3303 system has hands free answering only from the master station. If a call is initiated from a remote station, the respondent will be required to use the controls.
16. Can the speakers from an IM3003 system be used with the IM3303 master station?
Yes. The IM3003 system speakers are compatible for use with the IM3303 master station.
17. Are you able to have multiple speakers on the same wire run with the IM3204, IM3303, or the IM4406 systems?
No. These systems are "home run systems" as each speaker is wired individually back to the master station
18. Can additional inside speakers be installed with the IK15 or the IK25 systems?
No. Additional speakers are not compatible for the amplifier design and possible failure of the amplifier could occur. An IS-68 door speaker may be added to these systems.
19. Can an IS69 be used with the IK25 doorcom system?
No. The IS69 is a door speaker designed for our larger intercom and radio intercom systems.
20. What is the private button for on the IS445/IS448 speakers?
This feature allows control for the users so that no monitoring may occur at those stations when in the "private mode".
21. Can more than 1 room be monitored with the IM5000 system?
Yes, multiple rooms may be monitored with this intercom system.
22. Can the speakers from an IM4006 system be used with the IM4406 master station?
Yes. The IM4006 system speakers are compatible for use with the IM4406 master station.
23. May the 900 series speakers be used with the intercom systems?
Yes. These are used for music distribution only. Intercom communication is not compatible with these speakers.