Single Handle Kitchen Faucet with Reflex Pullout Spray from the Brantford Collection
Love it, love it, love it!
My new sink is in the middle of a very large granite-topped island and my goal was a faucet that was sleek, unobtrusive, traditional in appearance, and highly functional. With this Moen faucet, we got it all! I love the pull out sprayer, the single handle operation, and the range of both the swivel and the spray hose. We did have to make a minor modification to the faucet - it came equipped with a flow restricter, which is a good thing unless you have well water where there isn't the same volume as you get with city water. But, we were able to remove the flow restricter and now we have perfect pressure, even with well water!
January 28, 2013
Love my new faucett.
I have received my new single handle kitchen faucett with pullout spray from the Brantford Collection. It is every thing I hoped it would be.
February 23, 2012
Beautiful faucet, marginal gasket and hardware
We purchased this faucet along with a Kohler k-5818-4 cast iron sink and some other accessories. The main body of the faucet is quite high quality and the final installation is beautiful, but there are some issues:
1. The "socket" supplied with the faucet for tightening the bottom nut was a complete joke. It's a piece of thinwall tubing with the ends formed into a hex. The problem is that the hex is too large for the nut, so you can't generate much torque and it wants to round off the nut. I ended up discarding this useless tool and used a crows foot wrench with a ratchet and extension to tighten the nut underneath.
2. I was disappointed to find that the long threaded shank on the bottom and the nut used to tighten the faucet to the sink are NOT brass construction. Instead, they're anodized aluminum. It's just not up to par with the rest of the faucet. I could tell the nut was starting to gall when tightening it.
3. To understand this next issue, you have to understand the arrangement of hardware underneath the sink used for attaching the faucet. There's the long threaded shank that sticks through the hole in the sink. The hardware that goes around this shank is (from bottom to top) the nut, a heavy duty washer, a rectangular bracket, the sink itself, the faucet base on top of the sink, then the faucet sits atop the base. Unfortunately, none of these parts is keyed to the threaded shank or the faucet itself. So, when you tighten the nut, the washer wants to spin and the base and faucet want to spin. We solved the faucet spinning problem by clamping a board to the faucet so my wife could hold the board in position while I wrenched from below. The washer spinning caused another problem: the cutouts in the washer are a pretty tight fit for the hoses, so when it spins, it pinches the hoses. It took several tighten-loosen-reposition-retighten cycles before I managed to get everything tight without pinching. On our sink, the underside was rough cast iron, so the rectangular bracket wasn't prone to spinning. They could have keyed the washer and faucet to the bracket and that would have helped a lot.
4. On our installation, we used the wide base to cover the sink holes on either side of the faucet. The faucet included a gasket to go between this base and the sink, but we had difficulties with the gasket. First off, the gasket isn't well formed to the brass base, so when you tighten the faucet to the sink, the torque from the wrench makes the base twist atop the gasket which causes the gasket to visibly stick out (almost 1/8 inch) on the right, while the gasket is buried under the base on the left. This problem could be reduced if the gasket was more closely molded to the base and wasn't so dang slippery. It's made of either teflon or polypropylene which are very low friction materials, so it's very difficult to keep the base from slipping on relative to the gasket. The biggest problem with the gasket, however, is that it's NOT THICK ENOUGH. Our sink is cast iron which means the surface isn't perfectly level. The gasket has a sealing bead around the edge that will compress only about 0.010". Since the sink surface had spots that were more uneven than that, the gasket would just flop up and down by hand in the space between the base and the sink...completely useless as a gasket. We ended up putting a bead of plumbers putty all around the edge to fill up the gap.
5. The gasket problems could have been mitigated if the base had screw posts for the sink holes on either side of the faucet. Unfortunately, the only thing holding the base in place is that it's clamped between the faucet and the sink in the middle. But when you tighten the faucet down, the base wants to bow, causing the ends to lift up. There really should have been screw posts to go through the other two holes to clamp the base to the sink itself.
6. The last issue is that when using the wide base, there is no gasket supplied to go between the main part of the faucet and the base...it's metal on metal. Because of all the fumbling around with spinning brackets, the useless socket, and a slippery gasket, we ended up with some faint scratches on top of the base around the faucet.
To end this review on a good note, the faucet is absolutely beautiful. Both the neck and the handle operate very smoothly.
January 12, 2012
So happy with this item... beautiful design, easy operation, good water flow & nice color. Very easy to install... my neighbors loved it so much that they ordered one online and I installed it for them, too! Great company to deal with & I will be back for future faucets when needed!! :)
July 3, 2012
Faucet with Reflex Pullout Spray
Great faucet. The reflex pullout spray is great. Just a touch and it goes from full stream to spray. The counter weight is heavy enough to ensure the spray retracts properly. Definitely an A+.
April 16, 2013
I am very happy with this faucet. We were remodeling our kitchen and I was so unsure of which faucet I wanted until I saw this single handle Moen at a friend's home. Mine is in the stainless finish to match my appliances and I couldn't be more pleased with the looks and workmanship of the product. So far, so good....hope it proves to hold up in the future. I am also well pleased with FaucetDirect. I was pleasantly surprised at the speed of delivery! I would definately will recommend FaucetDirect.com to anyone.
July 21, 2012
Beware the Moen Brantford Kitchen Faucet
The Moen 7185 Brantford faucet looks nice and is easy to operate. The under the counter weight works well and the spout is always neatly tucked back into position. The big drawback of this faucet, and practically all Moen faucets, is their very limited spout reach. It is only 7 7/8 inches and this does not allow the spout to reach far enough into the sink. Since the spout is close to the back edge of the sink, the result is uncomfortable leaning forward to reach the stream of water coming out of the spout and also unnecessary splashing on the back splash. Moen is the only faucet manufacturer that makes most of their faucets with the same short spout reach and does not offer much choice in that area. Just a heads up--if you have one of the newer large sinks, a Moen faucet may not work for you.
November 30, 2013
We are happy with this faucet. The color is not too dark like some oil-rubbed bronze fixtures. There is a lot of variation which makes it look like it is really hand-finished. The automatic re-pull feature does not work as advertised (and demonstrated at a showroom), but it does pull back when we give it a boost like other faucets of this type. This is the only reason that we did not give five stars. It goes nicely with the Moen soap dispensers.
October 15, 2012
Broken from manufacturer
I received the faucet overnight on a Monday, because I needed it installed for the coming Easter weekend. On Tuesday when my plumber took the product out of the box to install it was defective. The cold water hose was not attached in the body of the faucet. Try as he may he could not get this hose to stay in place and recommended not installing because I would have a flood on my hands when it burst. I called faucet direct and they promised to send a replacement faucet within two days. This would have meant delivery on Good Friday. In the mean time I had to purchase another faucet from Lowes and pay my plumber to install a faucet I did not want.The faucet arrived the following Tuesday and faucet direct made no effort to compensate me with even a discount on the second faucet. After being out $300.00 for installing a faucet so I could entertain on Easter I had to pay my plumber another $200.00 to remove the unwanted faucet and install the new faucet sent by faucet direct four days after promised delivery. Thanks faucet direct for the most expensive faucet ever!
May 1, 2012
We purchased this product for a rental unit we own in VT. Our requirements were pretty lengthy: it had to be durable, priced right, elegant, and have a good track recortd for performance; we did not have to deal with returning this item for faulty construction or design. Five stars! The faucet looks awesome in the kitchen, Faucet Direct is the best!
December 13, 2011