General and defective returns are accepted for any item purchased from this Site or any affiliate in the Build.com Network. We accept general returns within 30 days of the day the order was received and defective returns within 60 days. There's no minimum value on returns. We do not charge restocking fees (except for flooring product returns). Clearance/Liquidation/Closeout items and all appliances can only be returned if found to be defective, or damaged upon delivery.
Qualifications for a general return:
- Return requested within 30 days of receipt
- Must be in resalable condition
- Must be free from scratches and/or defects
- Must not have been installed
- Must be in the original manufacturer’s box and packaging
- May not have any writing on the original packaging
- May not be missing pieces
- Must not be a clearance/liquidation/closeout item
Qualifications for a defective return:
- Return requested within 60 days of receipt
- Has a defect that hinders its usability for the purpose in which it was designed and manufactured
Build.com is not responsible for any labor costs related to handling, installing, or uninstalling items purchased.
Items that have had gasoline in them are NOT returnable due to shipping restrictions of hazardous materials. Items that are special ordered may not be returnable. If an item is defective or damaged, we will issue credit in full, provide replacement parts, or send you an exact replacement. If you're uncertain about any part of this return policy information, or if you have unanswered questions, please contact the appropriate customer service team below:
Setting up returns for our neighbors to the North is easily accomplished. Just keep in mind the following additional considerations and requirements:
- Shipping charges are not refundable unless the product you’re returning is defective or damaged.
- Taxes and duties on Canadian shipments are fully refundable, but subject to current exchange rates.
- The customer is responsible for including all necessary return documents with the return shipment. If documents are missing, then taxes or duties may be charged to generate new documents and re-import the item back to the United States. These fees will be charged at current exchange rates.
- Returns for Canadian customers may be subject to an additional 3-5 business days of processing time.
If you have a cancellation request, you can contact the appropriate customer service team listed below. Speaking with a team member allows us to process your request as fast as possible. We can cancel an order up until the time it has left our warehouse. Once the order is en route, it then becomes a return and must follow our return policy listed above.
(800) 375-3403 – All products
(855) 484-3292 – Appliance Specialist Team
(855) 484-3293 – Flooring and Tile Specialist Team
- How do I set up a return?
- What is an RGA and how long will it take to receive it after I set up my return?
- What is a PPL and when will I receive it?
- What is a BOL and when will I receive it?
- How do I send my return?
- What is a call tag and how does it work?
- My purchase was damaged in transit. How do I return it, request a replacement, and file a freight claim?
- My purchase was lost in transit, what do I do?
- I did not receive all of my products, or I received the wrong product. What do I do?
- When and why do I have to pay a restocking fee?
- I purchased flooring, how do I return it?
- When should I expect my refund?
Setting up a return request online is quick and easy; just login to your account to access our returns tool. You may also contact the appropriate customer service team listed above, and a team member will create a return request on your behalf.
Once you've submitted a return request, you'll receive an e-mail with an approved RGA number or a denial within 3-5 business days. Reasons or additional instructions will be provided with any denials.
Return shipments must use a carrier who offers tracking (like UPS). Please avoid non-traceable carriers (like USPS). All items must be returned with the return goods authorization (RGA) number that we provide. The RGA will be sent via e-mail. Items returned without an RGA number may experience credit delays.
By default, a low-cost pre-paid labels (PPLs) are provided for all general returns set up by one of our customer service team members. The cost to ship the item back is deducted from your credit amount once the item is received and inspected by our warehouse. You may opt-out of receiving a PPL by contacting the appropriate customer service team listed above. If you opt-out, then you must provide us with valid tracking information to receive your credit and avoid processing delays.
What is an RGA and how long will it take to receive it after I set up my return?
An RGA is the Return Goods Authorization number that we use to help track your return. This identifies the return and associates it with your order number. Please allow 3-5 business days to process and issue an RGA.
What is a PPL and when will I receive it?
A PPL is a pre-paid label to return your item via UPS. It will be automatically issued and e-mailed at no charge for defective or damaged returns. PPLs will also be issued for general returns created by one of our customer service team members. We encourage you to accept and use the low-cost PPL that we provide, but remember the cost of shipping will be deducted from your credit for general returns. Regardless of return type, the PPL will be sent in a separate e-mail, and will arrive after your RGA e-mail.
What is a BOL and when will I receive it?
A BOL is a Bill of Lading to return your item via freight (semi-truck, LTL, etc.). It will be automatically issued and e-mailed at no charge for defective or damaged returns. BOLs will also be issued for general returns created by one our customer service team members. We encourage you to accept and use the low-cost BOL that we provide, but remember the cost of the shipping will be deducted from your credit for general returns. Regardless of return type, the BOL will be sent in a separate e-mail, and will arrive after your RGA e-mail.
How do I send my return?
Repack all items very well, and prepare them for shipment (we recommend using the packaging from the original shipment, at least). Follow the instructions provided with the RGA number we sent via e-mail. If you’re using a PPL that we provided, then print and attach the PPL to the outside of the box and drop your shipment off at any UPS pick-up facility. If you are not using a PPL that we provided then please use a carrier who offers tracking (like UPS).
If your shipment will travel via freight (semi-truck, LTL, etc.), then repack all items very well, secure them to the original pallet(s), and prepare them for shipment (we recommend using the packaging from the original shipment, at least). Follow the instructions provided with the RGA number we sent via e-mail. Print the BOL that we provided via e-mail. DO NOT attach the BOL to the shipment. Contact the carrier to schedule pick-up.
What is a call tag and how does it work?
A call tag is an additional convenience option for general returns, and is set up when a shipping carrier needs to pick-up an item from your home or business, then deliver it back to our warehouse. Call tags are for parcel shipments (UPS) only. The cost of a call tag is $7.00 per package, plus the cost of shipping. The total cost of all call tags combined with all shipping charges will be deducted from your credit amount. A call tag takes 24 hours to process. Once processed, the carrier will make up to 3 attempts to pick-up the package(s) from your home or business.
My purchase was damaged in transit. How do I return it, request a replacement, and file a freight claim?
If you notice damage while the carrier is on site, then DO NOT take possession of the damaged product(s). Instead, take pictures of the damage, gather copies of the paperwork from the carrier (if possible), and refuse delivery. Next, contact the appropriate customer service team listed above.
If you notice damage after delivery (concealed damage), then take pictures of the damage, and contact the appropriate customer service team listed above. Most carriers only allow 2 business days after delivery to file a freight claim, so please contact us as soon as possible.
You may also log into your account to access our (link to ECRM login page). When setting up the return please select "It was damaged in shipping” as the return reason. In the description please give as much detail as possible of the damage. Make sure to specify if you would like a replacement item or would like to return the item for a credit.
After the return is set up please hold the damaged product(s), along with any damaged packaging, for 30 days as the carrier may want to pick-up or inspect. If after 30 days you have not been contacted by Build.com or by the Carrier you are free to dispose of the damaged product(s).
We will not be able to help with any complaints of damages, including visible or material defects, after the product has been installed or altered.
My purchase was lost in transit, what do I do?
I did not receive all of my products, or I received the wrong product. What do I do?
There are occasions when an order is shipped from multiple locations and will arrive at different times. In the event that all material is not delivered, please contact the appropriate customer service team listed above. If you believe you have received the wrong product, please verify the item number of the item(s) you received compared to your order confirmation e-mail and/or packing list. If anything does not match, then please contact the appropriate customer service team listed above so we can assist in getting the wrong item(s) returned and the correct item(s) sent out.
I purchased flooring, how do I return it?
When receiving flooring it is
important to confirm the order accuracy and contact our Flooring and Tile
Specialist Team at (855) 484-3293 with any discrepancies.
We will accept returns on flooring and tile orders, with a 1 carton minimum. Since we only sell in full-carton quantities, we only accept returns in full-carton quantities. All wood flooring manufacturers recommend that you purchase 5% additional flooring to use as a waste factor. We do not take back waste or left-over flooring pieces. Returned products must be in resalable condition and in their original packaging. Items must be returned within 30 days of receipt, some restrictions may apply.
A 15% non-negotiable restocking fee, plus any associated return freight charges, will be deducted from all general flooring and tile return credits.
The following flooring-related items may only be returned if defective:
- Special order and/or custom milled flooring
- Flooring accessories; molding, trim and/or transition items. (Note: Moldings are generic and are sold as a complimentary color and may not be an exact match to your flooring color).
- Installation materials; adhesives and trowels
- Cleaning materials
- Promotional products; including Coupon and/or Weekly items
When should I expect my refund?
For most general or defective returns, we will process your credit once we have confirmation that the item has been received and inspected by our warehouse. Please allow 5-10 business days following delivery to our warehouse for credit to be issued. Credit will be issued to the payment method used on the original order.
For refused shipments, damaged shipments, and freight claims filed within 2 business days of receipt, credit will be issued as soon as possible. However, please allow 5-10 business days to complete processing.
- How can I tell if my product is in stock?
- Where can I find the manufacturer warranty info?
- What's the status of my order?
- How do I track my order?
- What are my shipping options?
- How much for shipping?
- Where can I have my order shipped?
- I have an APO Address. How do I receive my shipment?
- When will I receive my item?
- My product is on backorder, what do I need to know?
On every product page, you'll see the availability status of the item. The stock status will display one of two things:
- The product is in stock with an anticipated shipping time.
- The product is out of stock.
When a product page says there's zero in stock, that doesn't necessarily mean the item is sold out or on backorder. For the most accurate and up-to-date stock status, call our product specialists at (800) 375-3403.
You can check your order status by logging into "My Account". Below is a breakdown of the steps your order goes through while being processed.
Order Pending Processing: We have placed your order and your payment has been verified. We're scouring the order making sure we get you the right product, once we find it we will send the order to our warehouse for shipment. If you have any changes to make to your order, now is the time to do it.
Processing at Warehouse: We have sent your order to the warehouse where they are pulling your product from the shelves and loading on the transport to be at your door in no time. Any changes or cancellations at this stage need to be handled by a customer service rep. Find your rep
Shipped: That's correct, your order is on the road (or plane, or ship). Shipping information, including tracking numbers and shipping company, will be provided within 1-2 days.
Multiple Shipments: Unfortunately your order has been split into multiple shipments. Good news, we will make sure you have status updates for each shipment.
Many items placed on backorder are made to order or custom made for you. Sometimes the item was unexpectedly out of stock and we were not notified. If your item is backordered we will email you within 1-2 days with an estimated ship date. You can cancel your items at any time before they ship, but to reserve your product we have charged your account.
For smaller products we use standard shipping methods. Larger products require Curbside delivery. Shipment times are average, and remote locations, shipments during the winter holiday season, and cases of extreme weather may exceed the estimated shipment times.
Standard Shipping: We use UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS, or other common carriers that provides insurance and tracking. Shipments often need to be signed for, while shipments can also be left at the driver's discretion. Items using standard shipping have several speeds:
- Standard Ground Shipping: 5-7 business days. Deliveries eligible for Free Shipping will have this option available.
- Second Day Air: Shipment time is 2 business days. The day following the ship day is the first day. For example, an item that ships on Friday (not counting Saturday or Sunday) will arrive on Tuesday.
- Next Day Air: Shipment time is 1 business day. An item will be delivered the following business day if the carrier receives that item prior to their daily cut-off (varies by carrier). NOTE: When choosing this method, please be aware of the product's Expected Time To Ship (warehouse turn-around).
Curbside Delivery (Also called Freight or "LTL" Shipping): This is reserved for large, heavy, or oversized items like large sinks, bathtubs, shower doors, etc. Items are palletized and loaded onto a large truck for shipment, and delivered by scheduled appointment by lift-gate for to-the-curb service. All items must be inspected for freight damage prior to the driver leaving. Shipment time is 7-10 business days.
For exact shipping costs, add the product(s) to your cart and enter your zip code. Below is a breakdown of our most popular shipping offers.
UPS Ground Shipping offers: UPS Ground Orders* under $49 start shipping for $5.99, and UPS Ground Orders over $49 may be eligible for free shipping offers.
Freight (LTL) Shipping offers: Freight (LTL) orders over $1500 ship for free.
*some restrictions may apply, always check the shipping on the cart page after entering the ship-to zip code. Hawaii and Alaska typically do not qualify for free shipping offers.
To determine the total shipping price for your order:
- Find the product you want to purchase
- Add it to your shopping cart
- Enter the ship-to zip or postal code
- Choose your shipping method
The shipping price for each individual item is usually more than the total cost of a single shipment with multiple items. So, if you're purchasing multiple items, add them all to your cart before checking the final shipping price.
Every shipment method we use is trackable and insured. Below is a list of our shipment methods and their shipping times. All shipment times are shown in business days (Monday through Friday, excluding weekends and holidays).
We ship anywhere within the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada. If you have an APO/FPO/DPO* address, call us at (800) 375-3403 to place and order and obtain a custom shipping quote. We're currently unable to ship outside the United States and Canada.
We are unable to ship to a United States territory directly. Please use a freight forwarder if that is the product's end destination.
* Please note that anything marked Freight (LTL) cannot be shipped to an APO/FPO/DPO address since LTL carriers cannot deliver to these addresses and the items are too large to be shipped via USPS/MPS.
If your order is received before noon Pacific Time, you can expect items specifically marked as IN STOCK on the product page to ship as follows:
- Plumbing (faucets, bathtubs, toilets, sinks, etc.): usually ships within 2 business days.
- Lighting: usually ships within 3 business days.
- Door hardware (door knobs, door levers, hinges, cabinet pulls, etc.): usually ships within 3 business days.
- Furniture: usually ships within 5 business days.
- Ventilation (bath fans, range hoods, air purifiers): usually ships within 2 business days.
- Tools (power tools, air tools, generators, etc.): usually ship within 3 business days.
- Vent pipe: usually ships within 3 business days.
During holidays, any orders received will not be processed until the next business day. Items not specifically marked as IN STOCK are either out of stock or located in a warehouse that doesn't provide a live inventory feed. If your order is time sensitive, please contact us to see if your products will ship in a suitable time frame.
Occasionally, an item is out of stock and is on backorder. If any part of your order is backordered, here's the scoop:
- Backordered items are charged in full at the point-of-sale, just like in-stock items. This is to reserve the item with the manufacturer or, in some cases, reserve an item that's made to order.
- Within 24 hours of the order placement, we'll notify you via email if items are backordered and the estimated shipping date.
- Prior to the shipping date, we will verify with the manufacturer or shipping warehouse that we are on track to ship. We'll notify you via email if there is a reason for additional delay.
- If backordered items are confirmed as not shipped, the order CAN BE cancelled. Items that have left the manufacturer or original storage facility CANNOT be cancelled.
- To cancel a backordered item, contact customer service and we'll do our best to halt shipment. We'll confirm your cancellation via phone or email, and credit or update your order.
We currently accept the following forms of payment:
- Credit cards: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Your card must have a verifiable billing address.
- V.me: Securely store your payment and shipping information in V.me by Visa, so you don't have to enter it again the next time your checkout on any website where V.me is accepted.
- PayPal: PayPal allows members to have one personal account linked to any bank account or credit card for easy payment. Visit http://www.paypal.com.
- Amazon Payments: Using one account, you're able to send money to family or friends, receive money, or make payments toward a purchase. Signing up for an account is simple. For more information, visit:https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/home.
- Check: Once you've created your cart on one of our sites, contact us by phone and we'll help process your order.
- Wire transfers: We accept wire transfers for orders over $1,000. As with check orders, please contact us by phone so we can help process your order.
As an Effect of the Internet Tax Freedom Act, Sales Tax is only collected for orders shipping to California. Current sales tax rate is 7.5% (as of January 2013). We are not obligated to, and do not, collect sales tax on orders shipping to destinations outside of California. The Short and sweet of it, We won't tax you for your purchase, but your state might. Check with your local taxing authorities to be in the clear.
For those customers purchasing from Build.com and shipping to California, Colorado, Iowa, Kentucky, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Vermont, Tennessee, or South Carolina, view more here.
If tax has been charged on a recent order and you need to take advantage of your tax exempt status, Customer Service can facilitate a refund. You will need a copy of your California Resale Certificate (www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe230.pdf) and your Seller's Permit.
How to submit for a refund:
Please submit the necessary information by fax in order to receive a refund of California Sales Tax. Our fax number is (530) 566-1893. Please include the following:
- Your eight-digit order number
- Email address
- Acceptable proof of your exempt status (as outlined above)
- The name of the organization that purchased the items
- Mark your fax "Attn: Build.com Tax Exempt"
Sales tax does not apply to purchases made by the United States Government. In order to document that a sale has been made to the U.S. Government, we need to obtain a copy of one of the following:
- Federal tax ID certificate
- Certificate of exempt status
- Government Voucher
- Check from the U.S. Government payable to Build.com
Purchases made from the Build.com Network of Stores (FaucetDirect.com, HandleSets.com, FloorMall.com, LightingDirect.com, PullsDirect.com, VentingDirect.com, and VentingPipe.com) will show on your statement as purchased from BUILD-CHARGE.com.
If you are unsure of your purchase please check your email (including spam folder) for an order confirmation and receipt. If you did not receive one, or did not purchase an item recently from Build.com or our Network of Stores, please call us immediately at (800) 375-3403.
- How long will it take my order to ship to Canada?
- What can I pay with?
- What shipping methods do you use to ship to Canada?
- How do I track my order?
- What extra charges, taxes, duties, and fees will be incurred for Canadian purchases?
- How do I set up a return from Canada?
- What import, export, and re-export control laws and regulations must I comply with?
Your order can be tracked online 24/7 by logging into your account. Click the "My Account" link at the top or bottom of any Build.com page to login and view your orders and their current status.
You will receive an emailed tracking number once your complete order has left our Iowa consolidation center and has been successfully shipped across the border. In some cases, you may receive a tracking number that shows a destination address in Waterloo, Iowa. This is tracking your shipment from our drop ship vendor to our Cross Dock center. You will receive a separate tracking number once the order has shipped across the border to its final destination.
Charges will include all applicable taxes and duties, and no COD fees will be charged at the time of delivery.
Our Canadian customers will pay taxes based on the province they live in. Taxes will either be the 5% GST + appropriate PST or the combined HST. You are also charged appropriate duties at the time of purchase. By ordering goods from Build.com, you hereby authorize Build.com's licensed Canadian customs broker, chosen by Build.com, to act as your agent, and to transact business with the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) to clear your merchandise, account for duties and taxes, to return merchandise through Build.com's Licensed Canadian Customs Broker, and prepare and submit refund claims on your behalf for any merchandise that you return. You understand that the CBSA will send any refund of duties and taxes that were paid on the returned merchandise to the broker, and that you will obtain the refund directly from Build.com. In this connection, you also authorize the customs broker to endorse any refund cheque issued by the CBSA in your name, so that Build.com can be reimbursed.
We strive to streamline the returns process. Please be aware that whether you have a general or defective return, anytime you send something back across the border, certain documents are required by customs to clear the shipment. We'll provide you with these documents along with detailed instructions of where to place them when you return the items to ensure you're not charged any taxes or duties to return them and to ensure that they clear customs with no delay.
Please follow all of the instructions included with your return authorization. Processing Canadian returns can take 1-2 business days longer in order for us to generate all of the appropriate customs documents.
You shall, in connection with your use of any of Build.com's websites & services, comply with all applicable import, export, and re-export control laws and regulations of any country, including:
- U.S. Export Administration Regulations
- U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations
- Council Regulation (EC) No 428/2009 on the control of exports of dual-use items and technology
- Country-specific economic sanctions programs or embargoes adopted against countries or individuals under any applicable national or international legislation, including any measures implemented by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control