Ten Tips When Determining Your Bathroom Budget
I've put together what I thought were the ten most helpful tips when planning your bathroom remodel on a budget. From where to splurge to where to save, I make sure that you were aware of the unexpected costs and how to find the right contractor. Just remember to enjoy the process and have fun!
1) Consider Your Bathroom Remodel Costs
Consider choosing one expensive item based what you would enjoy the most. These are typically the upgrades where you may want some professional help.
Sometimes unforeseeable issues arise during major bathroom remodels. Make sure be aware some of the most common.
- Unforeseen damage while remodeling your bathroom, such as, mold or dry rot.
- Pet boarding costs to ensure your pets are not in the way of the work.
- Cost of renting or moving if your daily living space is being compromised.
- Building permit fees can change due to plan changes or other unforeseen issues.
- Increased property taxes may occur after remodel increases home value.
Here are some ways to help balance your bathroom remodel budget. Don't be afraid to do some of the work yourself.
- Mix luxury items with the essentials -- i.e. heated floors and a WaterSense toilet
- Find more affordable alternatives -- i.e. choose style and find the same looking fixture at a lower cost
- Consider doing some of the work yourself -- i.e. changing out the toilet and hardware
- Consider hiring sub-contractors for the larger projects instead of a general contractor -- i.e. installing a custom shower
- Reuse some of what you have -- i.e. refinish your vanity
Plan your timeline backwards to make sure there is enough time between different installations. Make sure you have all of your products before the contractor is there to install, this will save a major headache. And remember that this is a guide to the job and doesn't guarantee when exactly the job will be completed.
This is one of the most important steps and finding the right one can save you money and time. Make sure you get along with your contractor and see eye-to-eye with them.
- Check the contractor's license
- Review contractor's previews jobs
- Would the contractor's references rehire them?
- Interview at least 3 contractors
- Ask for written proposals before you sign any contracts or obligations
- Sign a contract and stick to your budget
Start your bathroom project off right with us. My team of dedicated bathroom remodel specialists are here to help you through the process.